“I used to do it myself but I’ve realised what I write and what someone like you writes is completely different. It’s a real skill to write in that way isn’t it?”
Have you ever been in a position at work where you need to write something for printed or digital communication? Even if you don’t work in marketing, it’s likely you’ll have sent an email or a letter where you’re trying to grab the reader’s attention. If you’re a business owner you might even have written a whole website. Writing is easy of course, but finding the right words to engage, excite and convert your target audience can be a challenge.
The line at the top of this post was said to me by a business owner last week and it could not be more true. Yes, it takes skill to write successful copy. It also takes experience, know-how and biscuits. Lots of biscuits.
There’s more to writing than putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard)
You see, there are a number of techniques that copywriters like me can use, including (but not limited to):
- Developing a tone of voice, suited to both the platform and the audience.
- A standfirst which leaves unanswered questions.
- Introducing the ‘customer pain’ – so you can present the solution.
- Using direct questions, which draw the reader in.
- The use of subheadings and bullet points to break up the copy.
- Clever use of sentence structure, because not every sentence has to include a conjunctive adverb. Google it.
- Key takeaways, to reinforce key points
- A strong call to action
We can all write, of course, but how many of us can write eye-catching, meaningful copy which captures imaginations and engages with the audience? That’s why everybody from experienced marketing managers for FTSE100 organisations to fledgling business owners are increasingly turning to the services of an experienced copywriter like me.
Look back the list above, and you’ll see examples of each one within this post. Go on, try it for yourself.
And don’t forget:
- We can all write, but it’s a skill to write engaging copy
- You don’t have to work in marketing to benefit from a copywriter
Want to know more?
If your business needs professional copywriting to improve communication with customers, get in touch with us at The Enamel Works today. Just make sure you’ve got biscuits.